Guidelines to teach and parent with:
- Do not correct them all the time. There are times when they just need to learn from their own mistakes.
- Do not help them all the time. Let them try to figure it out for themselves. This will improve thinking skills.
- Make a habit of using more positive words a day.
- There is never a good reason to raise your voice. If you feel the need to do so you may have said to much without action. By action, I mean prompts or redirecting.
- Avoid using don't and stop when you can redirect without saying a word.
- Do not say their name more than 2 times. If you have to do so, that tells you that you need to use, yes here it comes again, prompting or redirecting. (There again try not to use too many words.)
- Always give them an ending point and a reinforcer when teaching.